Thursday, September 19, 2013

Hanging Light Fixture Hack

My dining room light fixture left something to be desired.
It was a generic 2 bulb fixture with a glass cover. Since my kitchen table doubles as a work table, I wanted to get some more direct light.

how things used to be


Preliminary Work


The basic idea was to use the existing mount and add my own light in the least ugly way possible.
I figured I could use some thick wire to bend a frame with and hang the fixture from. I would need to use the available power, as well.

like a warm power cable hug

I thought it would be nice if the weight of the light itself helped suspend it above the table. By looping the wire around in a tight 1.5 turn helix, the added weight would enlongate the helix, decreasing the radius and adding pressure to the coiled wire held within!



Materials




Only a few simple items for this project. 
> Coat hanger
> Industrial hanging pot light 
> Light fixture to AC power adapter
> Pliers and a length of dowel or broom handle to bend the wire



The Process



Only a few steps to realize my dreams of concentrated illumination.
Placing the original threaded support rod a small loop at the top of the wire frame, I screwed the fitting reasonably tight.

Screw in the adapter, plug in the light, coil and hang the fixture.

done.


The Product



A nice spot to sit down to work!
BONUS: I believe I mentioned it was a 2 bulb fixture! with an extra adapter, you can plug in an extension cord to have power close by while you work! Just remember to have it suspended away from the light!




No comments:

Post a Comment